Friday, January 5, 2007

White Ghost.

On my way to the first turn point yesterday, I was 1000 ft lower and a minute behind the lead gaggle. As I glided along chasing the group in front of me something very odd cought my eye. Off to my right was a parachute. I have never been so confused in my life. Parachute are supposed to have a glider and a pilot attached to them. It was slowly desending, not inflated, a white ghost with the bridal dangling below. I scaned the sky trying to figure out what had happened. After looking around and not seeing anything that looked abnormal. I told myself that maybe it had accidentaly deployed and had been cut away... I desperatly hoped. I watched as it slip down through the air until it came to rest on the ground. It didn't make any sense to me at all. After trying to take it all in I continued on the task unable to fully comprehend what I had seen.
It wasn't until I got to goal that the true horific tragidy of the day became clear. After a viloent tumble the pilots hangstrap broke at the slider detaching him from his glider. As he fell he deployed his chute but tragically the opening shock ripped it from his harness and he continued to fall. I can not imagine how his family and friends are feeling but I offer them my deepest sypathies at this horrible time.
I didn't know Andy, I am not even sure that I had met him. But I do know that by the end of our time here we would have been friends. This is one of the biggest reasons that I fly. Hang gliding has provided me with this increadible opportunity to spend time with other people that share the same deep passion that I have. Joerg and I talked a great deal last night about how lucky we are to have this conection with so many amazing people from all walks of live and every corner of the planet. I fly because I have to fly not because I like to fly, no other activity has brought me so much.
Yesterday was filled with contemplation. I went to the park, layed out my harness on the grass in the shade of a tree and double checked all of my gear to ensure that what happened couldn't happen to me. I spent a lot of time starring up at the clouds and smiling knowing that I will soon be back up there dancing under them. Above the world, above the problems of life. And only another hang glider pilot can understand what I mean and I am fortunate that I get to share this with them. I continue to try and understand what happened but mostly I am just happy to be alive and thankfull for my life and all of the people in it that I treasure.

We will fly today...... I will bask in every second of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Scott, A touching story that is so real, how do you keep your cool when you are faced with something so real and tragic as this.
A famous quote "How helpless we are, like netted birds, when we are caught by desire!" I will say a prayer for Andy's family and friends.
Be safe..."What r u thinking?"

Anonymous said...

Nice flight man... I know what landing just short is like... done many many times.