Saturday, January 6, 2007

Another 100+ miles, and we all made it....almost.

It was quite windy today. The launch lines were set up perpendicular to the wind so the tugs could have more room to land. It became quite interesting as things started to kick of and there would be a dustdevil rip through the launch line every 5 minutes. No one was in a big hurry to get going so I walked right up to the front of the launch line and towed up 6th from our line. I have been lucky enough to have bobby tow me on the previous 2 days but today I had a wild ride behind a trike. At 1000 ft I had had enough and pined off/locked out/broke my week link, either way I was off the line and in some lift circling out. There were 5 start times today, every 10 minutes with the top 30 having a race start at 2:30 and the first gate at 2:10. It was practically a race to the start circle as it was 25 km away. I took 3 thermals to get right to the edge of the start circle and hung out with Jeff O'Brien and 1 other pilot and waited for the 2:30 gate. I was a little confused as we were in a perfect position but we were all alone. Where were the top 30? Jeff and I stayed plastered at base circling in and out of the start gate and I think I got my start at 2:30:03. My best start ever. The 3 of us went on a pretty long glide towards the first turn point and started to search for the core when the lead gaggle caught us to up and we topped it out and continued on to the turn point.

At the turn point I had been dropped by the 7 pilots left in the lead gaggle. Thanx to the help of Robert Reisinger I found a ripper to base at the turn point and headed of for the last 120 km to goal. The sky was now completely overcast but climbs were still there just not nearly as strong as the first leg. I hooked up with Joerg for 40-50 km on this leg and we flew together well. At this point I think I reeled Chris Smith and flew with him for a bit and ten he went to the right of course line and I stayed right on top of it. I was at base under a grey cloudy sky 67 km from goal, My numbers had just gone positive so I switched to final glide mode and went on a really long glide to 24 km out. My Numbers had fallen apart a long time ago but I was now on the edge of the weather system and the sun was shining. The thermal I found was weak and punchy and had a high pressure feel to it. I stayed and climbed until my final to goal was 12/1. I had a 20 km tail wind so I thought it would be a breeze. At 17 km I was low my glide had been destroyed again so I found another weak climb and stayed in it until I had a 10/1. I went on a best l/d glide towards the goal with a plan to speed up when it hit 8/1. I landed 4 km short unable to pull myself out of the weeds. I wa on track to finish in the top 15 for the day, I am a little tiny bit pissed, oh well there is always tomorrow. I am satisfied with how I flew today I was fast when I could and i was able to change gears when I needed to. I just ran out of air at the end and didn't have very many options left to save the flight.

So in the last 2 days I have flown over 400 km and been in the air for 9 hrs. This place rocks! Jeff, Barry and Ralph made it in as did both of the Jeffs. Check out the Oz report for Davis' flight. It should be good.

Jonny doing the task briefing.

A pic of the Forbes airport as I climbed out. I know it is upside down but it is hard to thermal a glider in 1000 up and take pictures with your left hand.

Forbes

On Task

....still on task.

What 4 km from goal looks like.
What goal looks like with Jeff Shapiro tagging his first of many goal finishes this trip.

Jeff Shapiro, one happy, cool dude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, you and the Jeffs are doing very well. It sounds like you have set some personal bests since you've been there, which is excellent. The results from task 3 weren't posted yet. Continue moving up and doing well in the standings.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

I haven't met you but am glad that you are keeping me posted on how you all are doing! I'm Jeff Shapiro's wife, Kara. I keep checking in and you keep blogging!! THANKS!

~Kara