Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mt. Buffalo

We got the wind from the north that we need to clear the smoke out of the valley. It has a catch though. A north wind is a hot dry wind and it increased the fire index so much that Mystic was closed due to fire hazard. The only other launch that faces north is Buffalo but as it is a cliff launch it is only safe in calm winds. A number of pilots thought it would be a waste of time to drive 1 1/2 hrs there when it would most likely be unlaunchable but enough of us wanted to try so we went. I wanted to go because it was our only chance to fly and if we had a day off I figured hiking in this beautiful and rugged place would be the best way to spend it. Sure enough it was too windy but due to the fire hazard all of the hiking trails were closed as well. So much for that idea. As it was scorching hot we stopped for the worlds best ice cream (again) in Bright and then did the only thing that you can do on a supper hot day, we went swimming again.

The pilots getting the bad news at launch.

What you see before you make the leap of faith.

The canyon.

Steve Moyes removing 50 lbs of ballast from his harness bag, put there by a couple of his "friends".

Red Bank swimming hole, cool deep water and a rope swing. Fun but I would rather be flying.

My little girl ( on the left ) learning to ski. I miss her so much, it is hard to be away for soo long and especially hard when we are not flying. I am really proud of her and I can't wait to give her the biggest hug in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
I just ran across your blog and really enjoying it. Keep it up, man. It's great to hear about those far away places. Too bad you're not getting more flying though. Good luck. I'm down at The Ridge in Florida again. No good flights yet. Cheers! Terry from Toronto

Anonymous said...

YOur daughter is adorable and, as diehard Vermont skier, I'm really glad to see two boards under her feet and not just one.
Peter Kelley