Friday, January 12, 2007

Smoke, Vertigo and a big fight with myself.

With a not so good wind forecast and fires to the south it took a while this AM to decide where to go. We drove up Mt. Emu and didn't set up right away as the wind was light and cross. there was a lot of smoke in the valley but it seemed that It was clearing. They called a 90 km out and return back to the airport goal in Mt. Beauty. As I am one of the lower ranked pilots here on the WPRS I am at the back of the launch line but we are allowed to launch early if we put our name on a list. I was the 4rth person off the hill behind Davis and just in front of Montana Jeff. \Despite the smoke the lift was 300-500 up and easy to find. The ground was a nother matter. I could always see the valley but to the East I couldn't see the tops of the moutains below me due to thick smoke. I climbed up to 2800 m to the top of the smoke and was getting a little scared. I could see the yellow of the valley to the west but at times I could not see the ground below me and could see nothing in front of me at all. I worked my way to the edge of a 30 km entry syart and hung out there at the top for 30 minutes. I have never been so torn, I did not think it was smart or safe to continue on course but it took me 30-40 minutes to finnaly convince myself of it. I glided out in the derection I thought the airport would be as I could not see it through the smoke. It took 1/2 hr to get down and when I did the first pilots I saw on the ground were Steve Moyes, Dave Seib and Jon Jr.. It was they that I was told that the day was canncled and I was really proud of myself for making the decision not to continue on. After I landed all of the othe pilots started to show up and things got interesting as the smoke moved into the valley and the winds started to get strong from the east. Tonight the meet is throwing us a BBQ at the lake. More tomorrow.

(:00 Am pilots meeting at the pub.

Checking out launch.

The slot.

Task commity meeting.

Most of the gliders on launch.

The Alpenhorn is in the center of this pic. It is where we are staying for the week. The owners are great and the place is as well.

Dave from England is staying with us this week, cool guy and it was cool to fly with him for a bit today.

OB coming in for a landing after a tyour of the valley.

Montana Jeff and the world champion. No it's not Oleg.

B. Just for you. He tried to eat me, it was the size of an oatmeal cookie.....Ick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i figured hang gliding wasn't dangerous enough... thank you for the spider. wait until tarantula hunting season in guatemala - oatmeal cookie size is just the babies. the trick to avoiding death is to protect your neck. you'll probably survive a bite anywhere but the neck.
B.

GliderMike said...

Nice pics Scott. Keep up the good work. I'm doing vicarious flying, traveling, and sightseeing thru you and the Jeffs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott
Thanx for the play by plays and all the pictures. I want to grow up and be just like you. Good luck to ya.

Jason D