Saturday, January 13, 2007

More smoke and 3rd place.

It was smokey when we woke up this morning. Thinking that the day would be canceled a bunch of us went to the meet headquarters after the great BBq at the ting the lake. The pub was quite full as they were hosting the "Mt. Beauty Idol" competition. After critiquing all of the contestants I was challenged to go up and do better. I was in a tough spot because the girl up before me sang a Kelly Clarckson son better that she does. But I did it any way, gave it my all and did a wicked version of "if I had $1000,000" by the Bare Naked Ladies. To thunderous applause I won 3rd place and a bunch of Jack Daniels stuff. It was a fun night but I really did not want to get out of bed this AM. At the pilots meeting it was decided that we would drive over to Bright and to the Mystic flight park hoping that the northerly winds would clear out the smoke so we could have a task. We hung out on launch playing games and having a water fight for a couple of hours when the day was called. The Jeffs had set up and decided to try and fly over the range and back to the Mt. Beauty airport while Davis Biddy (our driver) and I drove down the hill for some excellent ice cream in Bright. The forecast is for more northerly winds so I hope the smoke clears up soon so we can have a comp. I love it here but I came to fly and would rather be at home than just killing time.

What I saw at the edge of the start circle looking north on the course line.

Barry Bateman on Mystic launch.

Playing marbles to kill some time.

The forest after the fires on the mountain between here and Bright.

Celebrating my victory with friends Joerge, Tink and Dave.

No comments: