Tuesday, August 7, 2007

In the air over a green Texas.

Today was the first practice day for the world championships. There was a practice task planned, a 70 km 1/4 tail wind dash to Lamessa. As I was hot, bored and really eager to find out if a 3 degree tip in my left wing would finally tame the right turn in my glider I towed up first, right at 1:00. The tow went well and I was towed to 2500 ft, 1000 ft above the inversion which worked great as I got to fly my glider in some smooth air. The turn was gone (thanx Brett) but the lift was light, broken and only going to 1200 ft off of the ground. So rather than drift away low by myself I landed and took another tow right away to get up wind and try again. There was more of the same and no one else seemed to be in a big hurry. I flew around for a bit trying o get a good feel for my glider( I like it). After I landed this time I went back to the hanger and had some water and a sandwich. After a hour guys started to stick so I hooked up with Ross, Brett and Bernie and we towed up right after each other and I had a great time up there with my friends. I flew for an hour, climbing out over the prisons and then punching back into the 20- 25 km head wind. I got a chance to glide head to head with a all carbon RS 4 and I am happy to say that thanx to my fat ass I glide just as well. Tomorrow we have another practice day and then the gloves come off.

Bernies and my glider with the team logo.


The staging "cluster f**k" on the first day of flying.


The launch Line, it was short as not many tried the task today so no one was in a big hurry but this will all change on thursday. I am getting mentally ready to sweat my bag off.



It is my turn now. Just starting to roll out on the dolly.


I love when I break free of the earth and start to fly. This is just a second after I left the dolly.


The airport and he town of Big Spring from a couple thousand feet.


A few friends. I did climb up to them after a little while.


The hanger is on the right and the terminal building to the left is the meet headquarters. 1/2 of the tugs we have here are tied down between the 2 buildings the other half were towing us up.

No comments: