Thursday, August 16, 2007

About time!


In goal with Ross.


173 km in 2:33 = 70 km/hr
I love fast days. As I mentioned before I am aggressive and impatient and on days like this that gets rewarded and not punished. I made a move in the start gate that could have screwed me but instead it worked just like I had hoped and made for a relaxing time. I headed quite north by myself to a cloud that was working under the high cloud that was moving in from the south. I figured that I could just hang there for the 45 minutes till the start and just turn and drift right to the course line. I got to base and stayed there with one other pilot and it worked out just as I planned. I was high, right at the edge of the start circle and right on the course line for the first start. There where now 7 of us heading out and I couldn't see any other of the 100 pilots any were in the haze. We pushed hard under working clouds and after 30 km we started to pick up more pilots. It went by so fast glide at 80 - 90 km/hr stop in strong thermals, leave when they slowed down and glide fast. Jumping from cloud to cloud. I skipped a few weak climbs and got lower than some but was usually rewarded with a strong climb down low. I love flying fast, it really felt like a race and not a game of survival. The survival game is very important and a good test of skill but for me I love racing as it rewards my style. In order to become a complete well rounded pilot I definetly need to work on making better decisions on the soft days. It is hard to want to practice that after such a fun fast day.

No comments: