Saturday, August 11, 2007

Day 3 I flew like a Brazillian

I had a shit start today. Low alone and out of position. I have learned that how you start can make or break your day. It just makes sense that if you fly with the best in the world you will: pick the best lines, leave lift when you should, glide at the right speeds for the day, stop only for the best lift and find the core the fastest. All of these things are what makes the miles whip by. But low and alone you are going to be that way for most of your flight. With Marks help we pressed on chasing down the lead gaggle that was at first out of sight but when we finnaly saw them I thought we had a chance to real them in. The guys they had dropped were reachable in front so we would go to where they just had been and found lift. As soon as it started to die we didn't waste any time and would leave together to race to the next climb. We would have to search a bit but we new it was there and would usually find it. After doing this 5 or 6 times I found the a core as mark searched around to only find zero. I directed him in right under me to no avail, I had cought the tail end of it and he had missed the train. I was high enough to reach the lead group who seemed to be turning in zero ahead and low. I glided toward them but I wasn't in a big hurry as they seemed to be suffering. I found a weak climb before them and hung out trying to to it right up just shy of Lamessa. When they looked like their climb had turned on I went to join them. I was feeling really good about myself to see Scott Barret and Dustin and a number of the French and Germans. After racing hard to catch up and actually do it I was WAS to cocky. As soon as the lift went to shit at 1800m as it had for the whole flight I wanted to go, so I did. I wasn't alone, Scott Barrett came with me all 3 times that I lead out. The first 2 worked really good. The 3rd one I struggled to find any lift, Scott found it way of to my right as I worked my way over there I was so low that I tried to turn in every little beep which hurt way ore than it helped so by the time I got under them I had just enough altitude to turn 1 360 and land. 86 km short again. This is not the Texas I flew in last year. Tomorrow I will be as patient as Bernard on Valium.

No comments: