Sunday, August 12, 2007

Day 4 We all made it!

I hope.


Bruce Kavanagh shortly before he climbed right through me.

On course over Texas.



The reason I say this is from the ground I am not sure that Jon crossed the offset goal line and Bernie was a little unsure that he had crossed over it as well. I'm sure I am just being paranoid.

For the first part of the day I was very happy with how I was flying. I was mid gaggle for the first start and got it just seconds after, this was good. Then Bernie and I were chasing them down, hitting the cores and leaving when they left. This is the kind of racing I love, fast, intense with no screwing around. Too bad it only lasted for 50 km. Bernie and I dove in under the lead gaggle at well over 100 km/hr and I missed the core on the first pass. He hit it and started to core it out. By the time I made my way back they were already 500' above me and that was it, they pulled up and a way as I struggled by myself until I found it. Then I tried to chase them down again but they were too fast. The last 100 km was slow, lonely and a little frustrating but unlike yesterday I was able to gear down as I really needed to. I had to cross a large blue hole and ended up low turning in very weak broken lift just trying to survive. It felt like I was there forever (25 minutes) but eventually I worked my way across, found some good climbs and then topped out my last climb 20 km out until I had an 11 to 1 and stated to glide in. It felt great to make goal for the first time this week. I did a quick count of parked gliders and there were already 60 there but I was still stoked. The most difficult and stressful part of the flight was yet to come. The airport that was goal for the day had to be the last place I would ever pick to land a hang glider. It was surrounded by oil pump jacks, each one had a power line running to it. some of these were less than 100' from the runways. If you got past the spiderweb of power lines there were mesquite trees, cactus and tall grass hiding all of the barbed wire fences. There was very little grass but tons of pavement. The largest piece of grass right next to the runway looked the most inviting as everywhere I looked gliders were whacking on the pavement or landing in the bush around the runways. I hung on in some weak lift until a Japanese pilot had moved to the edge of the grass and I dove in right over the power lines, pushed out over a mesquite tree, back down, up over the barbed wire . The whole time I was upright with my legs spread trying to shorten my glide. I came in across the runway and hoped I would slow down before I ran into the Japanese pilot to my left and the well head to my right. I flared 25' short of both of them ( eat your heart out Rob). It was by far the most technical landing I have ever had to do. I only wish that they had some money on the spot. It was great to have all of the Canadians in goal. I am looking forward to seeing all of my team mates in goal again.

No comments: