Wednesday, August 15, 2007

285 km!!! That is a long way.


Corina and I gliding up wind waiting for the start.


The goal field in new mexico.

Day five started with a rumor that we were going to have to go far. I had heard 301 so I was relieved that it was only 285. LOL. In the launch line I was joking with the pilot in front of me about the trike that he just got to tow him, just then my tug landed and it was Bill Moyes. Given what Davis has been writing on the oz report I just got more nervous than the guy in front of me with the trike. I had nothing to worry about it was by far the smoothest and best tow I had had so far. It was so mellow partly due to the fact that the airport was shaded out by a huge cloud but it dive give me the rare opportunity to reflect on what was happening. In that moment I felt very proud, humble and honored. I was at the World championships, flying a Moyes glider, towing behind a Moyes dragonfly piloted by the grandfather and developer of the sport that I am so passionate about. Thank You.

After a re-tow, ( the shade got me) Jim towed me out towards the start circle and dropped me off under some guys turning. This would be the last time I would see another pilot for over 200 km. I left 2 minutes behind the lead gaggle and way to the left of them. I tried to fly as fast as I could hopping to catch up to anyone. It never happened I would glide and climb when I needed to and mentally I broke down the flight into manageable pieces of 50 km with my only goal to be high at the end of my 50 km task so I could start the next one in good shape. It seemed to work and It helped to not think too far ahead. There were 3 blue holes I had to work around and chose to fly around them to the east staying right on the edge most of the time. The last 80 km it really started to dry out and the cu's which had been nice and fluffy with flat bottoms had stopped and there were just little wisps in front now. I topped up to 3200m under a forming wisp and headed out. I glided for a while without a beep but then I noticed a group turning to the west, too far off of my line to join them. As I passed by them I hit a really good climb, 3.7 m/s on my averager so I stayed in it and climbed back up while I watched the group to the west. The lift quite as the small gaggle of 5 pilots headed on course-so I set my course to intercept them. I was at least 500m above them and I was glad that i now had some help with the last 50 km. it seemed like we glided forever, as there had not been a bump in a while I was more than willing to turn almost 90 degrees off of my line towards a glider turning low 2 km to the west. 3 of the guys below me saw him to and we all started to turn when we got there. As I was climbing in the weak broken lift we drifted over the other 2 pilots that went on glide with us came in low and struggled for a little while till eventually they had to land. As I was high I left on what would be my second last glide towards goal with a 28/1. I knew I would need another climb but I wasn't hitting anything so I headed off of corse line to some dry fields hoping I would find the last climb I needed. I hit zero and started to turn working to find a better climb the whole time I was drifting north but goal was west but I was climbing. I promised myself that I would stay in the 1.5 up until I had an 11/1 into goal. The lift quit when I had an 18/1, Damn! I started to glide cross wind now heading just on the down wind side of Clovis hoping I would find the lift I needed but I had almost resigned myself to landing short, again. Just then on the edge of town I hit 2 up and I stayed in it till I had a 9/1 and raced in through some really buoyant lifty air and arrived at goal with 400 ft to spare. It was so cool to fly so far mostly alone but arrive in a specific place so far away from where I started and see a bunch of my friends there. It was cool to high five my big brother Joerge after he came in 30 minutes after me. I love hang gliding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Scott, I could feel your emotions as I read it. Congratulations! Terry from Toronto