Thursday, May 10, 2007

Final glide on the end of a rope.

We had another great day with a a 108 km box down south, then east, north and finally back west to our oasis in the desert. I had a good start with everyone except Jeff, Dustin and Jonny who held back to take the later start in 15 minutes. We were racing fast and Davis and I were working well together on the radio. We were at the first tp in no time. Chris Smith was charging! I could tell that he wanted this one bad and I respect that because I have been a very aggressive pilot as well. Davis and I were chasing him towards the second tp, Chris was getting low but he wouldn't quit. I could tell that he would only stop for a strong thermal like the ones that we had on the first leg. I stopped in a broken climb and got behind. Davis kept going towards the base of a mountain were the 2nd tp was. He and Chris stopped there kinda low and started to turn, I joined them and shortly after so did the rest of the guys that we were hoping to loose. We topped out that climb and headed directly on course line over a empty reservoir that now was a huge swamp. There was nothing but sink for 10 km So OB, Mark and I got to the other side first and low. We worked weak broken lift FOREVER until we were high enough to move on to the 3rd tp. Chris and Davis had come through us earlier at our altitude but didn't stop for the climb (I think they wanted something stronger) and they both ended up landing at the tp, so I really put the brakes on. I was 1000 ft above Jeff when he got the tp low and headed of to the west looking for his next climb. I watched him search around for lift over some green fields as I headed a little more north over some dry dirt fields. I watched as Jeff glided directly to the ground so now I really slowed down. I found zero and stayed there for 30 minutes. It was like all the lift had just shut off. I couldn't see any dustdevils anywhere so I stayed put very slowly climbing until dusties started to pop. As soon as one was in reach I went to it and climbed in 400 up until I had a 10/1 glide to goal. There was a west wind and I was 23 km out but I had topped out the climb and decided I would try my final in. I was only getting about a 8.5/1 so I really wanted to find another climb. I was now right over the middle of town and I was sure I would find the last climb I needed to fly the last 8 km to goal. I had a 15/1 and I found a weak climb above Jim Scoles on the edge of town. But after the first 1000 ft the wind was stronger and the lift got weaker and I couldn't improve on the 13/1 glide I had and was just getting further and further away. My patience was done so I pointed it into the wind and glided it into the ground without hitting a bump and landed 4 km short. Since I was so close I called the resort and begged one of the tug pilots to come grab me so I wouldn't have to break down. The trike came and I had my first AT foot launch in zero wind ( all the wind was up higher).


My ride home and the road I launched off of.



A all Canadian wiener convention in the hot tub.

No comments: