Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Day 2 in the desert

I woke up very sore this AM! The forecast for today was much the same as yesterday. Top of lift @ 15000 ft and 800 ft/min climbes. I launched much earlier than yesterday but again I struggled to get a good start. They all waited for the last clock but I was way too low to try and chase them I was with Dustin climbing finally climbing well and we left on course 10 minutes after the last start gate. Dustin and I glided out together on the first glide, me well North of course line and Dustin well north of me. I found the first climb and Dustin who had been getting a better glide came over to join me. He came in well below me but climbed up through me as I was taking pictures of him. I left that climb at 2000m when it started to gt rough and weak and started to glide And glide and glide and glide....... I got really low and Dustin was no where to be seen. After what felt like a hour of just avoiding the ground I finally found a climb that got me out of the hole I put myself in. Then it was a lonely trip out to the first turn point. I got a few climbes on the way as I really did not want to get low again as it was really rugged with few to no places to land for the last 15 km out to the turn point and back. I tried to stay up around 2000m and climbed in some pretty rough trashy lift to stay there. I got to the second tp of the figure 8 task we had relatively high and then I hit the best thermal of the day 6-8 m/s to 3600m. I was still going up like a rocket but my vario told me that I had goal with 1000m to spare so I swithchedmy vario to my final glide page and started to watch the glide ratio get better and better. I was 48 km out and was gliding at 110 km/hr. It wasn't until I was 8 km out from the 3rd tp that I realized that the glide ratio is calculated to the next turn point and not goal. I slowed down, my 1000m buffer was now 160m so I found a little climb 15 km from goal that got me up to a 8/1 glide and then cruised in 500 ft over at 110 km/hr. I counted 6 gliders on the ground as I did some wing overs to get down before i landed close to the pool. It turned out that 1 of the gliders was not in the comp so I finished 6th for the day. Dustin first then Chris and Jeff, within 4 seconds of each other. Later Davis and Johnny came in, then my tired ass. After landing short yesterday I was stoked to make t in......Then hell broke loose.

Dustin and I climbing in our last thermal together.




enjoying a Margarita at goal.

The peanut gallery

A wall of dust approaching 30 minutes after I landed


When it hit it hit hard.

No comments: